AGM 2017 planned for Laois Kayak and Canoe Club
Club AGM: The Club AGM will take place in April, please see our Facebook page for confirmed date and time.
Membership Renewal: Annual Membership is due in April, please check your email, our Viber or our Facebook group chats for details. If you would like to join, the membership form is available on our website, or contact any member, or message through our facebook page for more details.
Level 2 Kayaking Training: We will be running a Kayaking Training session on the weekend of 27th and 28th May. A fun 2 days of weekend paddling, games and on-the-water instruction for both adults and juniors (U18) who want to learn the basics of kayaking with qualified Canoeing Ireland instructors. This course is part of Laois Kayak and Canoe Club’s Summer Development Programme. What you will learn:
- To kayak safely & competently on flat water
- An understanding of the Basic Paddling Techniques and Safety Rules of canoeing
- An ability to Enter and Exit a kayak correctly
- Forward Paddle, Reverse Paddle, and Stop
- An ability to turn while stationary using Forward Sweep Stroke, Reverse Sweep Stroke and a combination of Forward and Reverse Sweep Strokes
- Simple Draw Stroke
- Low Brace
- Turning on the Move
- Edging while the kayak is moving
- Capsize Drill
- An ability to assist in an Assisted X Rescue and/or an H Rescue.
Group sizes are limited to a maximum of 12 persons. Booking details are on our Facebook page.
Durrow Scarecrow Festival 2017: LKCC are really excited to again be involved in this years scarecrow festival. It’s an event not to be missed and is a huge asset to the community as a whole. We look forward to assisting Durrow Development Forum in the different events and to seeing you all over the festival.
Interested in Kayaking: Our summer kayaking training and introduction sessions are now booking. Mid-Week Paddling will start again on Wednesday evenings, once the evenings are longer. If you are interested in taking up paddling please keep an eye out on Facebook and on our website for introduction nights, training sessions and events for Junior and Senior paddlers, details at www.laoiskayak.com online.