Our Lady’s Meadow Parents Council promotes and supports the interests and welfare of all the pupils of our local school. We are affiliated to the National Parents Council Primary of Ireland and this year we drafted and implemented our Terms of Reference. Our core activity is fundraising and we work in partnership with the school staff and Board of Management to support student activities and develop quality initiatives within the school. Details are set out below.
- The National Green Schools initiative is well underway within Our Lady’s Meadow. To date a collection of Green Schools Flags have been accredited to the school for their ongoing contribution and effort. Throughout the year pupils from all classes have promoted a positive change in ways to enhance and improve our physical environment i.e. WOW days (walk on Wednesdays) Refreshments are provided by the Parents Council on the ceremonial days.
- Refreshments and buns are provided to welcome the new junior infants class and parents to the school each year.
- The Parents Council facilitates and supports the school during the productions of school musicals. We assist with make up application, prepare costumes beforehand and after by ironing, assist the BOM to coordinate the raffle and sell tickets on entry.
- Previous Parents Councils provided refreshments on Skipathon Day and Schools sports day.
- A charitable donation is made to Crumlin Hospital each year in partnership with the school from PC funds.
- The PC co ordinate an ice cream day for Downs Syndrome Ireland in partnership with the school. This is a yearly event.
- The month of June was Active Month at Our Lady’s Meadow. The Parents Council invited individual sports facilitators to provide tuition and instruction to the pupils of each class on a variety of alternative sporting skills i.e. Zumba Dancing, Taekwondo, Athletics, Gymnastics and basketball. The cost of the instruction was funded by this years PC table quiz and was felt to be extremely beneficial for all who participated.
- The Parents Council assist the school staff in ticket sales on admission to Nativity Play in Church at Christmas and provide refreshments in CYMS thereafter.
- A donation is given to local senior citizens party under the direction of the BOM.
- A coffee morning was held for the Haiti appeal a few years ago.
Fund Raising Activities
- During the 2011-2012 academic year alone we ran a very successful sponsored walk with the funds raised subsidising this years school tours.
- A well-attended and enjoyable coffee morning was held in the local presentation centre covering the cost of installing hand sanitizers in each classroom.
- A table quiz was held over last few years to raise funds to directly benefit the school.
- The Parents Council raised a large amount of funds through bag packing in local Tesco & Dunnes Stores over the last 18 months.
- The Durrow Parish Lotto is the most consistent fund raising activity which supports the school and is co-ordinated by the PC.
- Sponsored buses to transport pupils to variety of activities
- Installation of hand sanitizers in each classroom
- Replacement of floor covering in main entrance hall in school
- Presentation of sports gear to Cumin Na mBunscoil pupils
- The purchase and installation of sound field systems in 2 class rooms
- The purchase of Jolly Phonics programme for juniors
- Safety Cycle Course subsidised by PC for pupils
This is just a taste of the range of activities carried out by the Parents Council over the last number of years. A newsletter is issued by the Council each quarter to keep Parents updated with all our endeavours throughout and encourage parent participation. Finally the Parents Council will play an active role in fundraising and supporting the school over the coming year with the any structural changes, which may be needed to facilitate new members of staff.
Phone: Marain Barry (087) 9313499.
Address: Our Lady’s Meadow, Durrow, Co. Laois.